Sunday, October 28, 2012

And Then He Wanted a Computer That Doesn't Exist

I need to purchase a new computer next year.

Well ok I dont need to, but I am going to anyway. My requirements are fairly simple:

- I would strongly prefer a Mac
- Probably a laptop
- Decent graphics to run games

Dont get me wrong, I like my Thinkpad Edge 420, Buttt


Things I dont like about my Thinkpad Edge 420:

- The red rubber is waaayyy easy to scratch off. Infact the lid looks pretty tacky now
- The build quality has absolutely nothing on my Thinkpad T40. Although that was a fairly expensive laptop back in the day, come on. It's 9 years newer.
- The 1366x768 display is literally the worst display I have ever ever seen with my own two eyes. And I *own* it. It's patchy and the backlight illumination literally doesn't go to the edges. If I had seen this laptop in person before I bought it online (it was on crazy special) I wouldn't have purchased it.
- It's light, yet has the strange condition of being incredibly Thick. I call it my Thickpad. Seriously it's huge.
- It has NO CAPS LOCK LIGHT. This is wayyy more annoying than you'd think.
- THe charging light only has green and.. green. I have no idea if it's charged/charging/nearly dead by looking at it. It's all the same.
- When snapping a CD into the drive tray, you always feel like you're about to snap it off
- No USB3 despite being a fairly recent machine
What I like:
- Was cheap
- Really fast
- The keyboard really is that good.
- Fantastic servicing


So when shopping for a new mac, I look at all the apple laptops. My budget will roughly be $2000.

Macbook Air 11'
- Too small for my needs

Macbook Air 13"
- Non retina
- Good size
- The more expensive model only has 256 gigs of hdd storage, adding 512 adds FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE dollars to the price
- Integrated graphics.
- Somewhat expensive for what you get. The top model here.

I dont really want the non-retina Macbook Pros. They have optical drives which I never use, and non retina macs will probably look rather out of date in 2 years time.

The 13" Retina Macbook pros all have integrated graphics :/ What is so "Pro" about a $2k Laptop with integrated graphics? Get your shit together Apple.

The 15" Retina Macbook Pros all have discrete graphics that can barely keep up with screen. Trust me, playing any kind of game is not a pretty experience on my friends machine. And they're all pretty damn expensive

So I guess I want a 13" with a decent graphics card. Which doesn't exist.

Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment