Tuesday, October 9, 2012

And Then He Procrastinated

I'm still trying to not do my Psyc2600 essay. Nebulous questions do not make for fun assignments. I know some people I know enjoy the open endedness of an assignment like this, but I sure as hell dont. I'd REALLY like a marking criteria about now. I'd feel safer with one.

Speaking of social psychology, I really dont get the point of studying it so in depth. Not that I'm criticising its validity or right to exist, but when so much of the theories we are taught are open to extreme interpretation and have in my opinion, extremely questionable scientific justification, I just find it difficult to commit to memory. It's like I am memorising the wrong answer for half of this stuff. For example the basic question of do attitudes predict behaviour? Even that doesn't have a definite answer. So why do we spend two lectures on the subject if we aren't even sure if this is true? The pseudo mathemetisation of many of the theories also really gets to me, it's almost like they're only in the theory to lend it false credence. We're studying people, not mathematical formulae.  The strange fights that occur between researchers of Social psychology are similarly problematic - there will never be any end to half the the controversy, because there just isn't any solid scientific evidence to back either side up.

Blah. I'd better get back to it -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment